Monday, June 2, 2014

The Fun They Had - Lit. Circles

Shai-lee Shay
Literary Luminary
Finished
The Fun They Had

Hello Everyone,

For the last meeting of lit. circles, I was the literary luminary and here are the five paragraphs and sentences that I chose.

1. Page 1, paragraph 1 or sentence 1. Margie even wrote about it in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2157, she wrote, "Today, Tommy found a real book!" I found this sentence interesting because it actually tells that this story is in the future where they don't have real books. I also found it confusing at first because I did not understand what they meant by "Real Books", because all books are real. Now, after reading the whole short story, I understand that by real books, they meant paper books.

2. Page 1, paragraphs 2+3. They turned the pages, which were yellow and crinkly, and it was awfully funny to read words that stood still instead of moving the way they were supposed to--on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it that it had had when they read it the first time. "Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste. When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it and it's good for plenty more. I wouldn't throw it away." I also found this paragraph interesting because now, today, in our days, there aren't books on T.V's at all, let alone with words that move. I also agree with Tommy though, it is a waste to throw away books all the time.

3. Page 1, paragraph 9 , sentence 2. He smiled at Margie and gave her an apple, then took the teacher apart. Margie had hoped he wouldn't know how to put it together again, but he knew how all right, and, after an hour or so, there it was again, large and black and ugly, with a big screen on which all the lessons were shown and the questions were asked. I chose this paragraph because it was a little puzzling. In the beginning I was a little confused because I did not understand how someone could take a teacher apart. After I read that sentence though, I remembered that their teachers were mechanical, and not real human beings.

4. Page 2, paragraph 2. "Sure they had a teacher, but it wasn't a regular teacher. It was a man." "A man? How could a man be a teacher?" "Well, he just told the boys and girls things and gave them homework and asked them questions." "A man isn't smart enough." "Sure he is. My father knows as much as my teacher." "He can't. A man can't know as much as a teacher." "he knows almost as much, I betcha." I chose this part because it was surprising that men and woman are not teachers only because people invented robots who know everything. It is weird because, I think that until now, most of the people in this world have never seen a robot in their lives. I also think that real teachers know how students feel, and robot teachers don't. In my opinion it is better to have a real teacher that is actually a human being.

5. Page 2, paragraph 4. Tommy screamed with laughter. "You don;t know much, Margie. The teachers didn't live in the house. They had a special building and all the kids went there." And all the kids learned the same thing?" "Sure, if they were the same age." I chose this paragraph because I found it weird that the robots would live in the kids houses, I mean, my teachers definitely don't live in my house. I also found it funny that in the future different kids that are the same ages, would not learn the same information. I don't like the "futures" type of school, because it doesn't give children and teens a chance to socialize, and go outside and enjoy life.

Thanks for reading my blog post,

SS  

No comments:

Post a Comment