Monday, May 13, 2013

Caddie Woodlawn #3 (Literature Circles)


The Book
Title: Caddie Woodlawn

Author: Carol Ryrie Brink


Number Of Chapters: 24 chapters


Number Of Pages: 242 pages

Number of Pages We Read All Together: 74 pages

Last Week's Jobs

My Job: "Literary Luminary"

Sonia's Job: "Vocabulary Enricher"

Electra's Job: "Discussion Director"


What We Read: Three chapters, from pg. 43-74

(Nero Farewell, A schoolroom Battle, and Attic Magic )

Literary Luminary

1. Chapter 5
"There's one thing I want to ask you Harriet. It's about Nero. Be a good sister, and let me take him back to St. Louis with me?" Pg.45

I chose this quote because I think that it explains every thing that will be in the chapter since the chapter is called Nero Farewell. (Nero is the dog in the family) It makes us want to read more, because it makes us want to know what's going to happen to Nero and what will happen to him. 

2. Chapter 6
"Obediah Jones! Caroline Woodlawn! Stop at once!"

This was when the teacher, Miss Parker caught Obediah Jones and Caddie fighting. I just thought that this was interesting because it has Caddie's real name which is Caroline.

3. Chapter 7
And then at last she loosened the right screw! Whizz! Bang! The spring flew out with a whirr and it hit the low sealing. Screws and cog wheels flew in every direction. pg. 72  

This was when Caddie went sneaking up to the attic. She finds the Circuit Rider's clock that he gave to Mr. Woodlawn (Caddie's dad) to fix. I really liked these sentences because it some onomatopoeia such as whizz and bang. I really liked how the author wrote this part. The onomatopoeia made me picture the scene in my head.

Literacy Circles Meeting
My Job: "Connector"

Sonia's Job: "Discussion Director"

Electra's Job: PASS


For the next day 2, we will read five chapters, from pg. 75-128

(Breeches and Clogs, "The Rose is Red," Hoofs in the Dark, Massacree!, and Ambassador to the Enemy)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment