Saturday, October 12, 2013

When You Reach Me! Rebecca Stead :D

When You Reach Me
When You Reach Me (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Hiya everyone!
The book that I am reading at the moment, and that I have been reading this week (I started this week!) is called When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead. I'm on page 84, out of a total of 197 (it isn't that long!). 
It was awarded the Newbery Award in 2012, so I might do my 'Award winning' book report on this book. It has also won another award, and has been nominated for a few... so... yes. It's a bit famous.

So, whats it about?
It is set in the 70's, and the main character is a called Miranda. She's hardly satisfied with her name, as she was named after a kidnapper, 'Mr. Miranda', as she calls him.  Ernesto Miranda (I think.)
Life has been going down the hill since Sal, her best friend was punched on the way home from school, and started ignoring her.  During her breaks, her and two other kids at school go and work at a cafe for free sandwiches and soda. She works in the back because she can't master the 'V Cut.' She is totally miserable.
 She is having disputes with one of the girls in her class 'I'd thought we were just irritating each other, but I was wrong. This was war. pg78'
Things don't seem to be going in her favour, and to top it all off she is getting mysterious notes. She doesn't know who from, and they all seem to know too much. Some of them are getting seriously alarming, and she doesn't know what to do.

A word that I didn't understand was hydrant. 'We're trying to make working hydrants.'
Hydrant- An upright water pipe, esp. one in a street, with a nozzle to which a fire hose can be attached.Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Iv'e read that book and it is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete