Sunday, April 6, 2014

MY LIFE WITH THE CHIMPANZEES!

AUTHOR: Jane Goodall
Number of Pages: 135/156 pages

Hello dear readers, as all of you this time know, the whole 6th grade is reading my book! Well, I will give my perspective towards this book, which is not so good. I personally give this book a 6/10 due to its theme, and its point of view. Why assault this book immediately you are asking? Well, first of all, I think that the theme itself is not very exciting. Jane Goodall works in the forests of Tanzania for a "mere" 20+ years, only at that moment. The theme of the book could be exciting if she were to spend a little bit less time in the jungle, but I personally think that at one point, the book looses its charm. Same like Robinson Cruso, who spends 14 years on a deserted island somewhere, these types of books loose there excitement. On the other hand, there was one small sentence that completely changed my view towards this story.

I will ask you reader, do you find humans more important than animals? Well I personally do, because I am a human, after all. In Jane Goodall's writings, something that is done for the well-being of man kind, turns out to be a very bad thing. As she mentions, she finds testing new vaccines on animals a very cruel thing to do! Well, I cannot say it is not, but here is a fact that supports my statement: In 2012 around 660,000 thousand people died from a preventable form of Malaria! And she is stating that she does not care! 660,000 people is the population of a large city! So, Chimps, which there are "only" 250,000 is more important than these 660,000 people. After this, we ask ourselves a little bit about Jane Goodall. But please, do not mistake me. Jane is an intellectual, because she is after all an ambassador of the United Nations. But we do think about her as a person. In what environment was she raised in? Does she value human attributes such as Honesty, Forgiveness or others.

I will not only criticize the book, because there are some interesting things in all books, including this one. The book is emotional, and at certain points, a very interesting one. My favourite part, is when she talks about her early life. She appears to be very curious as a child and a very intelligent person.

My mystery word is Anthropologist: The study of human races, origins, societies and cultures.
Thank you for reading my post!  





No comments:

Post a Comment