Thursday, April 3, 2014

Odd Apocalypse

Title: Odd Apocalypse
Author: Dean Koontz
Pages Read: 295/467

Odd Thomas and a friend of his, Anamaria, are invited by a reclusive billionaire to stay at his estate, Roseland, to stay as guests. Roseland is on the shore of California, with high, protective walls. Odd senses something odd (pun intended) about the billionaire's mansion. The staff is jittery and jumpy, filled with odd hints and concerns. Anamaria has secrets of her own and claims that someone in the estate needs Odd's help. They pack up and leave but Odd Thomas still isn't convinced. 
Odd Thomas has a very special gift. I am sure you are all familiar with the "I see dead people" phrase from The Sixth Sense, and take it as a joke sometimes, but that is exactly Odd Thomas' case. He can see dead people. The old house is full of terrible and  bloody secrets. It is haunted by lingering spirits, and beasts who hide in the shadows. Odd has been dreaming of doom and terror lately. 
My favorite line is in the blurb on the back:
Roseland has welcomed him in, but will it ever let him leave?
One word that I have found is: brandished 
It means wave or flourish something, mainly a weapon, as a threat or anger or excitement. 
The sentence is: A man leaped out, brandishing a knife. 

O.E.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS SOUNDS AWESOME! I would ask to borrow it... but my probably wouldn't really allow me to so whatever. It looks so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never get scared of ANYTHING Omayma. :) I guess this is sort of a scary book (which you found funny), and I think that by writing this blog post, you made people want to read this book (I want to too!). I like how you wrote, "Odd senses something odd". :D So funny.

    ReplyDelete