Sunday, March 30, 2014

'Great Expectations' ... in KOREAN! :D



      Hello everyone, nowadays I am reading multiple books (like 4 books at once), but since this book is the one I read most, I will just write about this one. The book I'm reading is 'Great Expectations' in Korean. It is written by Charles Dickens, and this version is split in two books, because its too long to all fit in one book, so I am reading the first book. I read 135 pages out of 463.

      This book is about a boy named Pip (a.k.a. Philip - he had a short tongue when he was little, so couldn't pronounce his proper name). It shows his thoughts, growth, difference, life, changing, and feelings. His life is saddish-happy (but mostly sad), and he lives with his evil sister and her kind and understanding husband, Jo, in her house, because Pip is an orphan (his parents died when he was little, along with many of his siblings). His life changes by the order of events that happen (to him). So far, I have read two events, which are (SPOILER ALERT!) when Pip meets an escapee from prison (look at the picture), who threatens Pip to give him food and help him so that he could catch another escapee from prison, and the other event is when Pip goes to Ms. Havisham's house, where he meets Esteller, a girl who lives in that house with Ms. Havisham. He changes a lot then because Esteller makes him feel so bad by teasing him. So far, that's how much I read. 
(Picture source: www.prisonvoices.org ) 
      I chose this book because since the books I mostly read are not classic books, my mom told me that I should read more classic books. But they are hard to understand in English, because most of them was written long ago, so they are complicated and is written in old English. Korean is easier to understand (because its my mother-tongue language), so I decided to choose one of the translated classic books I have at home, which is 'Great Expectations'. Another reason I specifically chose this book is because my mom told me that some of the books I have are still hard to understand for my age. She then told me that this book is okay, and she told me what this book is basically about. I thought it was alright, and it might be fun (I thought/think that classics are boring, but this book is fun (for now)). 
      I don't know how I am going to write an unknown word because this is in Korean, and because some of the words I don't know in Korean I know in English, and some of the words I don't know in English I know in Korean. Plus, words in both languages can have the same definition along with multiple others. But I will put a word which I think is at least mentioned in the book: 

Word: Prodigy
Definition: A young person with exceptional qualities or abilities.
Sentence: (How am I supposed to write a sentence? It's in Korean, and a sentence translated in another language might mean the same. I'm so sorry people.)

2 comments:

  1. Woah Yoonji, this sounds like an amazing book. I really want to read it because it sounds like a great classic. Great blog-post by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Good job for challenging yourself with a classic!

    ReplyDelete