Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wonder.

Wonder
-
Written by R.J. Palacio
-
110/315 # of pages
-
Review by Shelly Ness

I started reading this book when i was at the airport. It was at the February break. I found out about this book because Ashley was reading it and she told me it is a good book so at a bookstore at the airport in London, I got really bored playing games on my phone so i bought it and started to read it. It was really interesting and I could relate to the book/main character so i kept on reading!

This book is called wonder. The name is unclear to me in a way. The book starts as August, telling about himself and his life. He is telling how he is a normal kid, but he looks strange and different than others. I fell really bad for him and he is always with no friends because he was always home schooled and his friends have moved or they aren't in touch anymore. He was is the narrator and main person in this part. Then after the narrator was his sister who care for him, her name is Via. At school they called her Olivia because she didn't want people to know that August, her "ugly E.T, lizard face, rat boy, monster" brother was her brother.

A work that was unknown to me in this book was gauge (page 90). The sentence was: "He looks better now, no doubt about that, but signs we used to gauge his moods are all gone". 

Gauge means to estimate or determine the amount, level, or volume of. "astronomers can gauge the star's intrinsic brightness". It also means to judge or assess (a situation, mood, etc.). An example or a sentence is "she was unable to gauge his mood".


4 comments:

  1. Very good and fascinating blog post. I am also read the same book but I did not do it for the blog post. The book does not only tell a story but it teaches you something;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the comments ur awesome ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this book and you described it perfectly! I agree with you about the title. I am not totally sure why the author called it Wonder. I would have chosen something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i would have to... although i wonder what he looks like..... thnx for the comment bae! <3

      Delete