Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Dragonfly Pool - By Eva Ibbotson

I have finished the book I did for my book report. There are many climaxes in the book but I think the most important one is when the King of Bergania dies. Even though it isn't directly said in the book, many things are caused by the effect of this and when he dies it is so shocking. When I was reading the book, I was so shocked that he died, I couldn't believe it.

The King of Bergania is the father of the Prince, Karil who is good friends with Tally, the protagonist. He is a very good man and is respected by all the citizens of Bergania. He believes in equality of all people and is very against the Nazis. Hitler had many a time asked him to be allies with him, but every time he declined. This demonstrates his goodness as he is risking his life by doing this. Sort of unknown to him, there are people working under him as advisors or other things who are secretly working for Hitler. In the book, it is very obvious they were the murderers who shot the King.

The King dies while Tally and friends are at the festival. It is during the festival, when there is a huge crowd, that he is suddenly shot. At this point, his son runs off to a place that only Tally, Matteo and the King know of. At the same time as this, Matteo is reunited with his best friend for the last time. I shall not tell you who that is as it is a huge surpise, so you'd better read the book...


1 comment:

  1. Super cool! And somewhat depressing..... Why did the advisers betray the King and shoot him? I mean, I know that he said no to Hitler's offer, but is that the only reason? Do you know if the library has the book?

    ReplyDelete