Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mockingbird #1


mockingbird
Kathryn Erskine
2010 U.S. National Book Award for Young People's Literature
9/232

Summary

Caitlin, had lost her older brother Devon and lost the meaning and the joy of her life. She doesn't want anyone to come and a lot of people came to cheer her up, but she is feeling worse. Her teacher's substitute came and gave her candy. She tried to give her one more and pet her on the head, but Caitlin ducked and hided behind her dad.

My Favorite Quote From This Book

It should be black inside and that's what I want so I put my head under the sofa cushion where the green plaid fabric smells like Dad's sweat and Devon's socks and my popcorn and the cushion feels soft and heavy on my head and I push deeper so my shoulders and chest can get under it too and there's a weight on me that holds me down and keeps me from floating and falling and floating and falling like the bird.
p.2,3

I like this quote because it describes how the character is feeling in an interesting way like making the color inside you really black by putting your head under the sofa cushion and describing yourself as a bird.

My thoughts

She sounds so depressed. Why would she want black and doesn't want any light? The author used a bird with one wing to help describe Caitlin's feelings.       p.3

It'll be so sad losing your family. Caitlin seems like she doesn't know what to do to get over with her older brother Devon's death. She is feeling scared and lost.       p.5

Caitlin doesn't want any people to come, so maybe she might be feeling worse. I wonder if she is ever going to be having fun again and how she gets over it.       p.7

She hides behind her dad and doesn't like to be touched or scared to be touched. What would make her so scared? She is so afraid. Poor Caitlin.      p.8
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SIXTH-GRADE glommers, norks, and me
Lisa Papademetriou

Summary

During a conversation between Allie and Tam about Orren and Allie, Tam tells Allie to ask someone else and say to Orren that she already has a date. Allie whispered 'Like Chris' and Allie thought it wasn't a bad idea, because Orren already knows Chris is Allie's crush and he would understand. But Tam said, he already has a date, Reenee. But Tam KNOWS that Allie wanted to ask Chris. She knows that Chris was Allie's long time crush!!! Allie was very surprised. Tam told Allie with a red, guilty face that Reenee asked Chris yesterday. Allie calmed down and asked Tam who is your date? Tam face turned pale to that surprise question. "I'm going with Tom." Tom Fine, Chris's best friend. Tam and Reenee had planned together to go together to the banquet with Tom and Chris. Allie didn't want to lose her best friend. She asked if she can seat with her in the banquet, but Tam answered, 'Look, Reenee absolutely will not sit with Orren. So if you want to sit with us...' Tam is saying if you want to be my friend, you have to follow the rules, ditch Orren. In the last soccer game of the year,it was a tie until Allie had scored the free kick. After the game, Allie decided to just go with Orren to the banquet. Allie kept reminding herself that it wasn't love with Orren, and she had a real fun with him. At school, Allie, Reenee and Tam met in the hallway. Reenee gave Allie this evil grin and said 'You and your boyfriend looked like you were having a good time!' But Allie managed to say 'We had a great time, thanks. Too bad your date looked miserable.' Tam gave Allie a worried look. Then Justin cam to Allie asking if she is okay. Then he asked if Orren and Allie are boyfriend and girlfriend. Allie frowned and said they were just friends. Justin said, 'Good for me.' Justin hurried to his class. Allie froze. What did he mean good for him? Then Allie realized that Allie liked Justin. She didn't realized Justin busy paying attention to Chris.

'Maybe one day, like Coach Condor, I'd learn to fly. But, for now, I was happy just to be Allie Kimball. My own me. Unique, but not alone. No. Not alone at all.' p. 217

My thoughts

But Tam KNOWS that Chris is Allie's long time biggest crush! She just let Reenee ask Chris and not even tell Allie. It would be easy for Tam to just make people feel bad, but not Allie.       p.181

So Tam did it on PURPOSE! Reenee and Tam with Chris and Tom. Reenee and Tam planned to do this! Tam is totally kicking Allie away and letting her just fall.       p.183

Tam is like... 'If you still want to be my friend, go ditch Orren. I don't want to be friends with you if you are friend with people like Orren. This is a rule you have to follow to be my friend.'       p.185

Orren is nice. Allie knows that too.But she doesn't want to like him. Orren is not really a boring nerd.He is nice and smart. Allie doesn't like Orren because of others' thoughts.       p.204

Tam kind of realized that Reenee is going over the line. She doesn't know what to do. She didn't know that Reenee would be that mean to Allie. She is starting to feel sorry.       p.211

Justin might be a good boyfriend for Allie. I think he likes Allie too. I hope they get together. They will be a nice couple.      p.214

Seems like Allie had found great friends! She is fine even without Tam, or her three years EX-crush, Chris. Allie will have a great time in Middle school.       p.215,6,7

1 comment:

  1. Your Book sounds good
    I would like really to read this book
    Love from
    Alice Rose netten

    ReplyDelete