Sunday, November 4, 2012

Elijah Of Buxton

Pages: 341

So far, in my book, a boy, Elijah, is talking about where he lives and how he lives being a black kid. Elijah was the first born free African in all of Buxton. He is very shy and fragile, he will get spooked by anything. The author writes  how an African American would talk so there are a lot of nicknames for things that are hard to know what they meant.  But now I am figuring them out. I wondered why this book has so many awards and now I know why.  It gets to you, makes you feel you're there and you picture everything Elijah is seeing. It gets a little scary at parts but not too scary. In the chapter I am in, the priest wants Elijah to go to a gambling carnival to earn money for the town. I really love the quote "Once someone was a slave there's always gonna be a something in 'em that knows parts 'bout life that freeborn caint never know, mostly horrorific parts." I loved this quote because it really drills inside you and you can feel how bad slaves were treated. This quote is on page 101.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book! I really liked the quote and also how kinda described the quote! GOOD JOB!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete