Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mockingbird #6


mockingbird
Kathryn Erskine
2010 U.S. National Book Award for Young People's Literature
232 pages
   Summary (Takes most of my time... :X)
'To Kill a Mockingbird' the movie
(Jem and Scout)
Caitlin sneaks into Devon's room and get into her hidey hole under his dresser. Inside, there is her name carved. Not her real name, the name that Devon often called Caitlin, Scout. It's from 'To Kill a Mockingbird', Devon loved that movie. There are Jem and Scout. They are brother and a sister. Devon was like Jem. Caitlin remembered when she looked a little like Scout when Devon cut her hair like Scout when she was 7 years old. She also remembered how she didn't understand  why the title was 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and Devon kept on explaining that it means you shouldn't hurt innocent people. 
      
       'I guess the evil school shooters didn't listen in English class because they did not Get the meaning of that book at all.' (p. 80)

Caitlin is out on the recess again with Mrs. Brook. Mrs. Brooks suggests that friends can share so much with each other, such as feelings. Caitlin announces that she doesn't have any of those. Mrs. Brook tries to work with Caitlin about empathy, trying to put yourself into someone else's shoes.

Caitlin met Michael again. This time, he was wearing clothes that just looks like what Scout wears! They started to chat about how they hate sticky-outy tag. They giggle and giggle. Caitlin asks if he wants her to burp her ABCs. While she does, Michael stares at her with his mouth wide open. Michael giggles and gets his friends to show them too.

       This is my friend Caitlin, Michael says.
       I feel proud to hear him say that.
       She can burp her ABCs!
       No way!
       Really?
       You can?
       Do it!
       And I do. They think I am awesome. (p. 95)

After the bell had rung and the kids ran to their teacher, Caitlin feels like Snow White who has bunch of little dwarfs who loves her.

(To be Continued... (I promise!!!!))

Conflict
It is mostly internal. Caitlin fights with her self a lot. 

       ... It's all about finesse.
       Fin-NESS?
       Yes.
       I like that word. What does it mean?
       Doing something tactfully and skillfully while dealing with a difficult situation.
       I'm surprised that I'm only learning this word now. This word is all about me! It's what I'm trying to do everyday to Deal With this difficult situation called life.
(p. 89)

They say the day when Devon died, 'The Day Our Life Fell Apart'. I peeked at the end of the book and got a hint that they will face the day putting back their life together. I really can't wait 'til the end of this book. 

My thoughts
Devon sounds like a really fun brother. It is so sad for Caitlin and her dad to lose him. The author is explaining more about Devon using the characters from 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.
p. 79

Caitlin must have had a great time with Devon. Suddenly from the last sentence of the chapter, I felt Caitlin becoming sad again. ('I guess the evil school shooters didn't listen in English class because they did not Get the meaning of that book at all.' (p. 80))
p. 80

How does she mean that she doesn't have any feelings? I think Caitlin lost her enthusiasm (?) and excitement and fun of her life. Caitlin really wants to know closure. I know that she won't stop until she knows what it is. She gets obsessed with things. Especially that got to do with Devon.
p. 83

It is possible for Caitlin to get a sickness from the shock or a small mental problem. Why does she has to LEARN to make friends?
p. 85

It is kind of weird that you have to work and practice on making friends and being social and normal. I hope what Mrs. Brook is doing with Caitlin helps her.
p. 87

Sometimes, little kids make better friends for you than with friends your age, because Caitlin doesn't feel what she feels with other friends her age that she doesn't like. Little kids respect you, because you are big and you can take care of them.
p. 96

empathyMichael sounds very excited to talk with Caitlin. I wonder if their thoughts agrees a lot since their loved one died the same way. I hope Caitlin makes more friends and Michael as her first step.
p. 107


I know how she feels, but she doesn't own Michael. Josh can be his friend too. I understand that Caitlin doesn't like Josh, but Mrs. Brook is kind of right, too.
p. 115

I can't say Caitlin is nice, because she didn't understand Rachel and hurt her feelings. The way she thinks is really different than with other kids. It is very strange when people be really mean to Caitlin and she doesn't care. I would really get hurt if I was her. Other kids should try to Put Themselves In Her Shoes.
p. 120

Citations
http://bridge-outsourcing.com/bridge-outsourcing/what-is-the-role-of-empathy-in-an-offshoring-context/attachment/empathy
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
http://www.mediawebapps.com/picturelike.php?id=185
http://rantery.awardspace.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird-picture.php?PicID=2

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog posts!!!!!! i really enjoy them and it's really neat!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait till next week your blogposts are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait till next week your blogposts are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete