Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Book Thief ~ Award

A while ago I finished reading the Book Thief, but once again I shall be doing a blog post on it. I finished the whole book, (583 pages.) I really enjoyed it, and now I shall explain why.

Even the cover looks amazing!
The Book Thief won a lot of awards, and a few extremely prestigious ones. Today I will write about the Printz award, a very famous award, given to the best teenage book each year. It was on of the honor books in 2007.
The Micheal L. Printz award website states that the award is "annually honors the best book written for teens, based entirely on its literary merit." It is an award for 'Young Adult' books, so adult books are not legible.
They are looking for books with literary excellence. Each year the options and ideas change. If one year there are no books with literary merit, there shall not be an award!
Usually, it is based on some of the following criteria- 'Story, Voice, Style, Setting, Accuracy, Characters, Theme, Illustrations, Design '. These of course are not set, and may change entirely.
The Book Thief was a honor book, meaning it didn't win, but it was one of the top 3 runner-ups (in 2007.) To be honest, I think it should have won.
The Book Thief had EVERYTHING! A well developed story, an extremely interesting style and voice, an amazing setting, fabulous characters, an amazing theme, and the best accuracy that any fiction book could ever have. Well, that's my opinion.
The idea was so original and interesting, and the whole story was phenomenal. 

I really felt connected to the characters, and felt fear when they did. At the end I also felt Liesel's pain, and was crying and getting all upset, as if I knew her. This is not true of many of the books that I read. Most of them... I am just not bothered. 

I think that it does deserve to have won the awards that it has, and that it should continue to win more. It is also being honored by having a film made out of it. Read the book before you watch the film though! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816442/ - link to film!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like a very interesting book. It must be a good one if it one so many awards. not t mention such a famous one. I like your choice of words and they way you wrote your blog post. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erika and I think the book is very interesting (by your description) and I look forward to reading it sometime!

    ReplyDelete