Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Staircase By Ann Rinaldi: Awards


         




   An award that The Staircase has won would be Booklist. I have failed to find out what this award is and what it is for, but I think that this book deserved an award, honestly, any award would suffice. This book teaches kids about history in a fun and interesting way. 
   Here is a summary to help you understand: Lizzy Enders lives in Independence, she has to leave to go to Santa Fe and she leaves behind all of her favorite things. Her family travels on the Santa Fe Trail with some other families. They go by wagon and they have to take the bishop's grand niece to Santa Fe with them. On the trail, Lizzy's mother dies of fever and they bury her in the desert. When they arrive at the girls school that Elinora (the bishop's grand niece) is going to go to, the families leave Lizzy there without saying goodbye. So Lizzy finds out how the school works and what not to do. The school is a Catholic school, and Lizzy is Methodist; she doesn't believe in their religion so she doesn't understand the ongoings at the school. Elinora pulls Lizzy into trouble and blames Lizzy for it, so Lizzy gets punished severely. Elinora told the bishop that it was Lizzy fault, though the bishop knew Elinora was at fault he was not aware of the punishment. The bishop speaks with Lizzy and gives Lizzy many luxuries, as in a kitten and she helps out some of Lizzy's friends. The bishop helps an old beggar who is a carpenter find work and gets the cook, Ramona, a new stove for her kitchen. 
   That is all I have read so far. I hope that that has showed you why I think this book deserves an award. If anyone has any information on the Booklist award, please notify me! Thanks! I am on page 106 out of 230. 

I hope you enjoyed!


KF

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog post KF!! I would really love to read your book!!.... Did you get it from the library or internet, or did you just buy that book? could you please tell me so I can also read it? please...

    I haven't finished reading my book either...

    SS

    ReplyDelete