Saturday, September 14, 2013

Al Capone Shines My Shoes: Setting

This time I'm writing about the setting in my book, Al Capone Shines My Shoes (that's my book report book). This book takes place on Alcatraz island, San Francisco, while it was still in use as a federal prison (1933-1963). The story starts in the past, late summer to early fall; the time school starts. Alcatraz has many buildings, for example the cell house, 64 building (the place where most innocent people on Alcatraz live), and the warden's house (the warden gets his own place because he has one of the most important jobs on the island). There are open ares as well, like the convict's garden or the parade ground (that's a big parking lot sized cement area where the kids play baseball). The 'vibe' of the place, if you will, is somewhat depressing, because (in my eyes) it doesn't have any color or feeling to it. I mean, it's a federal prison, it's not supposed to be all rainbows and unicorns, but I think it could be a little nicer. I hope you enjoyed this post!


KF

1 comment:

  1. I also read this book and really enjoyed it! Two years ago, we did go to alcatraz, and it definitely was NOT rainbows and ponies!

    ReplyDelete