Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I AM NUMBER FOUR by Pittacus Lore

Today I'm going to write about the protagonists and antagonists in the Book Report Book I have read.
As you know, the book I read was called I AM NUMBER FOUR by Pittacus Lore. It is part of a series of four books. In this post I couldn't include all 4 examples for every character, due to the lack of explanation in the book. Therefore, I will explain the characters with as much detail as possible.

The protagonist in I AM NUMBER FOUR is a boy called 'Four'. As he moves around a lot (to hide is real identity) he changes names all the time. In this book we know him as John Smith. A very simple name, but he seems to like it!
The author doesn't exactly say what 'John' looks like, but I envision him as a blonde with extraordinary blue eyes, quite slim and wearing simple jeans, trainers and a hoody. He is Number Four of the nine kids who we call the Gardes of Lorien. His first legacy (special power) is that he can communicate with animals, including his 'dog' Bernie Kasal. His second one is that he isn't affected by fire in anyway. Because he is one of the nine gardes, he is superhuman and incredibly fast, flexible and strong. He is also able to move things without touching them.  He is a really good guy. I have found an example from the book showcasing John's character.. The following example explains John's second legacy: 'What just happened John?'
 You were in a fire, and I got you out of it.' 
What you did isn't possible.'
 'It is for me'.
This showcases his second legacy. He saved Sarah from a fire. Impossible? Not for John.


Sarah, a beautiful girl, who happens to be the daughter of John and Henri's landlady, is John's best friend/ girlfriend. She is very attractive and loves to take pictures. She has long blonde hair and deep blue eyes. She loves animals, especially Bernie Kosar. 'She's shockingly beautiful with straight blond hair past her shoulders, ivory skin, high cheekbones, and soft blue eyes.'
Sam, a guy who is often bullied is John's other best friend. 'One kid, gangly with thick glasses, stands alone.' His father disappeared mysteriously a few years ago and Sam strongly believes that aliens took him. When he tells John this, John pretends to think it's rubbish, but inside he's realizing how true that could be.

Henri is John's so-called 'Cepan.' He has to help John in fighting the Mogadorians and protecting himself, especially now, as he is NUMBER FOUR. Henri is like a father to John, and not only his Cepan but one of his greatest friends.'Thank god the legacy came,' he says, and I realize that the stress of my Legacies forming - or not forming - took a far greater toll on Henri than I imagined. I think that this shows how much Henri cares for John and how much he cares about saving the world, too.

The antagonists, the Mogadorians are ghost-like creatures whose goal is to take over the earth. The only way they can do this is by destroying the nine children called the Gardes. The Mogadorians are the enemies of our heroes. 'The rest of it's body turns to ash before it even hits the floor.' I included this sentence in this post to give an example of how a Mogadorian collapses into ashes when it is killed.

3 comments:

  1. BeRnIe KaSaL?!?! Really? Does it actually say that in the book??????? :-O Bernardo should see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that a mistake? I searched it on the web but I couldn't find 'Bernie Kasal's anywhere. But I saw 'Bernie Kosar's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good explanation!

    ReplyDelete